East Bay News
Firefighters in Hayward rescue dog from house fire
HAYWARD, Calif. -- Firefighters rescued a dog from a fire at a Hayward home Sunday night, a fire inspector said.
Fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a single-story house on Lafayette Avenue around 8:15 p.m. Sunday, Hayward Fire Inspector Gerry Price said.
The first crews on the scene encountered black smoke coming from the front door.
Crews entered the home and were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, knocking down the flames in 10 to 15 minutes, Price said.
The couple living in the home safely evacuated but told fire personnel that their 13-year-old basset hound, Maddie, was still inside.
Fire crews "went through every bedroom, nook, cranny and closet and found the dog," Price said.
Hayward firefighter Ed Camera scooped up the dog, unharmed, and carried it to safety, Price said. No injuries to residents or firefighters were reported.
Objects on top of a lit kitchen stove apparently started the fire, according to Price. The kitchen sustained significant damage while the rest of the house sustained only smoke damage.
hayward, fire, east bay news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey 31 min ago
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday