East Bay News
One hospitalized after odor on flight from Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A Southwest Airlines flight returned to Oakland International Airport about 15 minutes after taking off this morning after a flight attendant reported a strange odor on board, an airport spokeswoman said.
Southwest flight No. 508 left Oakland for Burbank at 7:12 a.m.
A short time later, the captain radioed back saying he was returning to Oakland because a flight attendant had begun to feel lightheaded and complained of an unusual smell in the cabin, airport spokeswoman Joanne Holloway said.
"The captain elected to return to Oakland," Holloway said.
The plane landed at the Oakland airport at 7:27 a.m. and the flight attendant was checked out, then taken to a hospital for further evaluation, Holloway said.
It does not appear that anyone else suffered symptoms, she said.
Southwest Airlines spokesman Brad Hawkins said there were 137 passengers on the plane, plus a crew of five. He said the passengers are being put onto another flight and will probably arrive in Burbank about two hours later than scheduled.
The source of the odor has not yet been determined.
oakland, oakland international airport, southwest airlines, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday