East Bay News
One hospitalized after odor on flight from Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A Southwest Airlines flight returned to Oakland International Airport about 15 minutes after taking off this morning after a flight attendant reported a strange odor on board, an airport spokeswoman said.
Southwest flight No. 508 left Oakland for Burbank at 7:12 a.m.
A short time later, the captain radioed back saying he was returning to Oakland because a flight attendant had begun to feel lightheaded and complained of an unusual smell in the cabin, airport spokeswoman Joanne Holloway said.
"The captain elected to return to Oakland," Holloway said.
The plane landed at the Oakland airport at 7:27 a.m. and the flight attendant was checked out, then taken to a hospital for further evaluation, Holloway said.
It does not appear that anyone else suffered symptoms, she said.
Southwest Airlines spokesman Brad Hawkins said there were 137 passengers on the plane, plus a crew of five. He said the passengers are being put onto another flight and will probably arrive in Burbank about two hours later than scheduled.
The source of the odor has not yet been determined.
oakland, oakland international airport, southwest airlines, east bay news
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation 21 min ago
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead 46 min ago
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
4 min ago