East Bay News
One hospitalized after odor on flight from Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A Southwest Airlines flight returned to Oakland International Airport about 15 minutes after taking off this morning after a flight attendant reported a strange odor on board, an airport spokeswoman said.
Southwest flight No. 508 left Oakland for Burbank at 7:12 a.m.
A short time later, the captain radioed back saying he was returning to Oakland because a flight attendant had begun to feel lightheaded and complained of an unusual smell in the cabin, airport spokeswoman Joanne Holloway said.
"The captain elected to return to Oakland," Holloway said.
The plane landed at the Oakland airport at 7:27 a.m. and the flight attendant was checked out, then taken to a hospital for further evaluation, Holloway said.
It does not appear that anyone else suffered symptoms, she said.
Southwest Airlines spokesman Brad Hawkins said there were 137 passengers on the plane, plus a crew of five. He said the passengers are being put onto another flight and will probably arrive in Burbank about two hours later than scheduled.
The source of the odor has not yet been determined.
oakland, oakland international airport, southwest airlines, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed 38 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 4 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos