East Bay News
$15,000 reward offered in I-580 drive-by
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A $15,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the shooter or shooters who gravely wounded a man in a car on an East Bay freeway.
The CHP says the drive-by shooting happened on I-580 east of the Fruitvale off-ramp, but investigators are being tight-lipped about who was involved in the shooting and why the victim may have been targeted.
Police confirm there was a male passenger in the victim's car who was not injured, but they are not sharing details about their connection or a possible motive behind the late-night shooting that closed down parts of the busy freeway.
Officers heard gunfire around 11 p.m. and headed over the eastbound section of I-580 in Fruitvale. When they got there, a man flagged the officers down and said he was the passenger in a car headed east when another eastbound car pulled alongside them and began firing, hitting the driver. "The driver of the car had been shot. The driver was immediately transported to a local hospital where he is listed in critical condition. And, investigators are actively following leads," Officer Joanna Watson said.
The area where the shooting happened was shut down for almost three hours while OPD and CHP canvassed the scene looking for clues. "It's difficult to say what led up to the shooting. That's what investigators are working on right now," Watson said.
Police have no suspects in custody and have not released a description of the victim or any suspects in the shooting, pointing out that this is an active investigation. They are possibly using surveillance video in their search for clues.
I-580, oakland, crash, shooting, crime, CHP, OPD, east bay news
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- San Jose structure fire displaces 5 people 29 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 42 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos