East Bay News
$15,000 reward offered in I-580 drive-by
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A $15,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the shooter or shooters who gravely wounded a man in a car on an East Bay freeway.
The CHP says the drive-by shooting happened on I-580 east of the Fruitvale off-ramp, but investigators are being tight-lipped about who was involved in the shooting and why the victim may have been targeted.
Police confirm there was a male passenger in the victim's car who was not injured, but they are not sharing details about their connection or a possible motive behind the late-night shooting that closed down parts of the busy freeway.
Officers heard gunfire around 11 p.m. and headed over the eastbound section of I-580 in Fruitvale. When they got there, a man flagged the officers down and said he was the passenger in a car headed east when another eastbound car pulled alongside them and began firing, hitting the driver. "The driver of the car had been shot. The driver was immediately transported to a local hospital where he is listed in critical condition. And, investigators are actively following leads," Officer Joanna Watson said.
The area where the shooting happened was shut down for almost three hours while OPD and CHP canvassed the scene looking for clues. "It's difficult to say what led up to the shooting. That's what investigators are working on right now," Watson said.
Police have no suspects in custody and have not released a description of the victim or any suspects in the shooting, pointing out that this is an active investigation. They are possibly using surveillance video in their search for clues.
I-580, oakland, crash, shooting, crime, CHP, OPD, east bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge 1 min ago
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Martinez police treating brush fire as crime scene 21 min ago
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party 5 min ago
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park 6 min ago
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos