East Bay News
Weighted-down body found in Oakland Estuary
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Emergency crews have pulled a man's body out of the Oakland Estuary. They're investigating why it had weights attached to it. Police are calling the death suspicious.
A fisherman on the embarcadero called police just before 6:30 a.m. saying he could see shoes floating in the water just four or five feet from the pier. It was in fact the body of a man and when authorities pulled him from the water they realized he was weighted down.
"I can tell you that there were weights involved. I can't tell you anything beyond that," said Oakland Police Officer Johnna Watson.
Investigators estimate the body had been in the water for several days, which at least one witness corroborates.
"He said the car has been there for three days," said witness Tyrone Mack.
Police won't confirm if or how a red car is involved, but they are looking at it as evidence. They're also talking with witnesses, including those who live onboard boats moored nearby. Officers on a police boat interviewed them and used sonar to search for evidence in the water.
"This is still a very new crime scene; we are treating it as a crime scene. We want to be careful and make sure that if there is any foul play involved as far as the integrity of the investigation that stays intact," said Watson.
There will be an update on whether this was a homicide or suicide after the coroner completes his report.
oakland, OPD, east bay news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 55 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities 44 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos