East Bay News
'MythBusters' to resume testing experiments after mishap
DUBLIN, Calif. -- The popular television show "MythBusters" will resume filming occasional experiments at the Alameda County Sheriff's Training Center in Dublin following an unsuccessful cannonball experiment that damaged neighboring residences in December, sheriff's officials announced today.
On Dec. 6, 2011, the Discovery Channel show that examines the validity of popular myths and urban legends was responsible for a 30-pound projectile that missed its mark at the bomb range at the training center sending a cannonball into a nearby neighborhood, according to the sheriff's office.
While nobody was injured in the incident, the cannonball damaged two homes and a parked car, sheriff's officials said.
The range was closed after the accident and "MythBusters," which had conducted over 40 experiments there for four years under the supervision of the sheriff's office, suspended filming at the site.
Under an agreement between the sheriff's office and Beyond Production, the company that produces "MythBusters," the show will no longer conduct cannonball experiments at the training center, but will be allowed to resume filming of activities that the sheriff's office is accustomed to handling.
The property damage done by the cannonball has been reimbursed, according to Satwinder Gill, a Dublin resident whose minivan was damaged by the cannonball.
Gill said she didn't realize that the show would be resuming experiments and filming in the community, but said she was glad to learn that they will no longer be allowed to experiment with cannonballs.
"MythBusters" is currently filming its 10th season and is expected to return to the training center in Dublin later this summer to film experiments, according to the sheriff's office.
dublin, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"... 49 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday