East Bay News
Retired cop involved in shooting at Benicia shopping center
BENICIA, Calif. -- A retired police officer fired several shots when he intervened in an incident in the parking lot of the Raley's shopping center in Benicia Wednesday afternoon, a police lieutenant said.
No one was struck by the gunfire, and it is not believed anyone else fired a weapon, Lt. Frank Hartig said.
The officer was assaulted with a motor vehicle during the incident that happened around 3:20 p.m. in the parking lot at 890 Southampton Road, Hartig said.
Two people were detained for questioning and there was no threat to public safety, Hartig said.
Hartig said more information will be released later today.
benicia, crime, shooting, east bay news
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore 30 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 49 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual 22 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims 8 min ago
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 57 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos