East Bay News
Retired cop involved in shooting at Benicia shopping center
BENICIA, Calif. -- A retired police officer fired several shots when he intervened in an incident in the parking lot of the Raley's shopping center in Benicia Wednesday afternoon, a police lieutenant said.
No one was struck by the gunfire, and it is not believed anyone else fired a weapon, Lt. Frank Hartig said.
The officer was assaulted with a motor vehicle during the incident that happened around 3:20 p.m. in the parking lot at 890 Southampton Road, Hartig said.
Two people were detained for questioning and there was no threat to public safety, Hartig said.
Hartig said more information will be released later today.
benicia, crime, shooting, east bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...