East Bay News
Man exposes himself to teenage girl in WC park
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- In the East Bay, police are looking for a man who exposed himself to a teenage girl and apparently intended to do much more than that.
Walnut Creek police have released a sketch to help them track down the man who flashed a 14-year-old girl on June 18th. It happened along the Iron Horse Trail, near Downtown Walnut Creek, which is frequented by bicyclists, walkers and joggers. The girl was walking along the trail when the man started talking to her.
"He approached her, offered her cigarettes and drugs. She got scared, turned around, started to head back home and he followed her to her apartment," said Walnut Creek Police Sgt. Jay Hill.
That's when he exposed himself. She ran inside to get away and the girl was able to give a good description of what the man looked like.
"He was described as wearing an orange safety vest with a black or a dark shirt on underneath and black pants. He's a Hispanic male about 40, heavy set, over 200 lbs., spoke with a Spanish accent," said Hill.
It is not someone resident Leticia Escobar recognizes. She walks the trail daily and generally feels very safe, but this had her nervous. She said, "especially because I have an 11-year-old niece who walks to school right back here."
The trail runs right along Walnut Creek Intermediate School. Escobar says she remembers some construction work happening near the trail last week. That is something police have investigated because of the man's orange construction-type vest.
"We have visited a couple construction sites, showed the photo around to see if anybody recognized him and to this point, nobody has recognized him," said Hill.
However, police will keep looking.
"I see police patrol here occasionally along the trail," said Ryan Montrucchio who lives across the street. "Sometimes you see shadowy looking characters cruising around on bikes and what have you, but other than that, not too often though."
The girl was able to give a detailed description of the man and she is sure the sketch closely resembles the suspect. Police say the suspect was smoking L & M cigarettes.
walnut creek, east bay news, ama daetz
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery 59 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach 23 min ago
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 21 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash