East Bay News
San Ramon grass fire threatens homes
SAN RAMON, Calif. (KGO) -- An afternoon blaze near Dougherty and Lawrence roads in San Ramon on Thursday sent residents into a panic and pushed them into action. Neighbors grabbed hoses and used buckets of water from neighboring pools to douse flames that came uncomfortably close to the homes of an upscale subdivision.
"I came in here yelling for my husband to find him out here, with the gate and all the boys from the neighborhood with the hose and taking buckets out of the pool, we started a bucket brigade," resident Gayle Israel said.
Fire crews used helicopters and a fixed-wing air craft to battle the wind-aided flames. A giant curtain of thick, black smoke could be seen from miles away.
"This is our fourth fire in a week of this type. San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District Chief Richard Price said. "Neighbors are creating defensible space to give us a chance on a fire like this, so that it doesn't spread to the residence."
The fast moving brush fire hit three alarms and destroyed more than 50 acres of the dry, grassy, hillside that sits only inches from the homes. But the wind helped keep the fire from reaching homes.
Wind isn't' the only thing to consider. As the temperature rises, dry grassy areas can become fuel. The fire chief reminds everyone that as the July 4 holiday approaches, fireworks of any kind are not legal in Contra Costa County.
san ramon, fire, east bay news
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms 6 min ago
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions 1 min ago
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food, new rides 10 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park
- Medical association recognizes obesity as a disease
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co.
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- 49ers sign DE Justin Smith to 2-year extension
- Miami Heat force Game 7 in NBA Finals
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food,...
10 min ago