East Bay News
San Ramon grass fire threatens homes
SAN RAMON, Calif. (KGO) -- An afternoon blaze near Dougherty and Lawrence roads in San Ramon on Thursday sent residents into a panic and pushed them into action. Neighbors grabbed hoses and used buckets of water from neighboring pools to douse flames that came uncomfortably close to the homes of an upscale subdivision.
"I came in here yelling for my husband to find him out here, with the gate and all the boys from the neighborhood with the hose and taking buckets out of the pool, we started a bucket brigade," resident Gayle Israel said.
Fire crews used helicopters and a fixed-wing air craft to battle the wind-aided flames. A giant curtain of thick, black smoke could be seen from miles away.
"This is our fourth fire in a week of this type. San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District Chief Richard Price said. "Neighbors are creating defensible space to give us a chance on a fire like this, so that it doesn't spread to the residence."
The fast moving brush fire hit three alarms and destroyed more than 50 acres of the dry, grassy, hillside that sits only inches from the homes. But the wind helped keep the fire from reaching homes.
Wind isn't' the only thing to consider. As the temperature rises, dry grassy areas can become fuel. The fire chief reminds everyone that as the July 4 holiday approaches, fireworks of any kind are not legal in Contra Costa County.
san ramon, fire, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 3 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill 52 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Jayden Amys wins San Jose Future Chefs Challenge 2 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos