East Bay News
Alameda County Fair celebrates its 100th year
ALAMEDA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- The Alameda County Fair is celebrating a 100 years of homemade pies, cotton candy and rides, and everything else a county fair can offer.
The fair is certainly about all the rides, the excitement, and the exhibits, but it's also about food.
You take a foot long dog, hand wrap it in batter, fry it, and come up with the classic corn dog. You can get a monster dog for $7. The curly fries come in a brick and it requires technique to get a taste.
There's also some serious cooking going on at the fair though. It is the 10th Annual Amateur Barbeque and Chicken Cook-Off and the local chefs mean business. They've dressed up the meats with rubs and sauces, aiming to win the championship on Saturday.
Jim Bennet and Dion Hawk, both of Livermore, have taken top prize before. "Everybody's rub and sauce is good but really, the cooking technique. You could use almost any rub and sauce as long as you have the right cooking technique to come up with a good product," Bennet says. "There is nothing more Americana than barbecuing on the Fourth of July. It's a fabulous thing," Hawk says.
And then, there is over-the-top: the fourth edition of the hot dog eating con test. Teams are timed to see how many they can chew in a short time.
Raul Escovdeo and Joey Norwood, both of Livermore, did 31 each. "You've got to make sure you have just a little bit of water since they're kind of dry. You have to make sure you have just a good touch of water. Let it slide down," Escovedo said. "It makes it easier, softer to swallow. So, just got to go non-stop. Can't think about throwing up. Keep eating," Norwood said.
Those are words to live by.
You can also find deep-fried Fruity Pebbles, deep-fried Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, deep-fried oatmeal cream pies, and perhaps the most popular item at the fair, deep-fried Ding Dongs.
The Alameda County Fair continues through Sunday.
alameda county, 4th of july, holiday, east bay news, don sanchez
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos