East Bay News
Illegal fireworks tradition continues in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Some of the illegal pyrotechnic shows in Oakland were incredible. The street side fireworks shows may be illegal, but it didn't stop dozens of displays from going up across the city.
Arguably on the Fourth of July Oakland has the most spectacular illegal fireworks display in the Bay Area. Across the city, SKY7HD caught a flurry of commercial grade fireworks launched out of mortars, accompanied by the illegal explosion of M-80s, cherry bombs, and Texas-sized bottle rockets going into the sky.
The big concern of the night was fire in the densely populated area, but Oakland Fire took two of its crucial engine companies out of service as part of a cost-saving measure. Station 3 and 23 do not have trucks the carry water. Their backup crews can bring a truck that carries water.
In addition to the illegal fireworks, there are a lot of people who shoot guns into the air. Oakland police have a system called "Shot Spotter" that can detect the difference between fireworks and gunshots.
As of 11 p.m. there were no nighttime fireworks related fires to report.
oakland, fireworks, 4th of july, east bay news, alan wang
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn 57 min ago
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF 37 min ago
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos