East Bay News
OPD search for suspect in fatal hit-and-run
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police want someone to come forward and help them find the driver who left the scene after hitting and killing a bicyclist.
The accident happened at 81st Street and International Blvd. around 9:35 p.m. Wednesday night. Investigators believe the man was dragged for at least 100 feet after being hit by a dark colored sedan. The victim, believed to be in his 40s, died at the scene.
"We found skid marks on the scene so it indicates that the person did try to avoid [sic] so they have knowledge that they did hit this person, so it's a definite hit-and-run accident," Officer Jim Gordon said.
Investigators returned to the crime scene today to see if surveillance cameras at local businesses might provide any clues into locating the hit and run driver. They're also looking for a vehicle with a damaged windshield.
The coroner has not released the victim's name.
hit and run, OPD, east bay news
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 31 min ago
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro 32 min ago
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday