East Bay News
'Christmas house' fire in Martinez under investigation
MARTINEZ, Calif. (KGO) -- A house in Martinez that came to be known as "the Christmas house" has burned for the second time in six months. People used to come from miles around to see the beautiful light displays during the holidays at the home on Walnut Street in Martinez. The only good news is that once again, no one was hurt.
From PG&E to midnight trespassers, the homeowner, neighbors, and firefighters each have their own suspicions on how the fire might have started.
Firefighters say it is rare for fire to strike twice, but this is the second time the home has caught fire. The owner says she couldn't believe it when she got the call around 4 a.m. Tuesday. "It was terrible the first time around. This time it's worse because my neighbors house is gone too, the whole side of it," homeowner Sharon Brock told ABC7 News.
Pat Martindale got out OK, but is feeling a bit shaky. This was her second time waking up to a fire next door. The last time was back in January. "I heard the popping sounds and then I woke up, and my room was all red from the flames. I looked out the window and there were more flames this time than last time," she recalled.
No one was living at the home this time and it was scheduled to be demolished so on Monday, a PG&E crew was there to take out the gas meter. Brock can't help but feel suspicious about the timing. "Well, I don't know. It was fine for the last six months and then all of a sudden PG&E comes and takes the meter off and it burns down. So, I have no idea until the inspectors go through it," she said.
But firefighters say they actually don't think PG&E was the problem. "The time between when PG&E left and the time when the fire was, was a very long time," said Robert Marshall with the Contra Costa County Fire Department. Instead, they're focusing on what the neighbors have told them. "We have reports of trespassers on the property fairly frequently. So, we're looking into the possibility that those trespassers may have had something to do with the fire here this morning," Marshall said.
Before it was the house that caught fire twice, it was known as the Christmas house because of its lavish holiday decorations. "People come by every year and see the Christmas house and it was extravagant. Everybody knows, it was beautiful," Brock said.
Firefighters will be looking to see what the people seen at the house in the middle of the night might have been doing that could have started the fire, but as of 11 a.m. Tuesday, the structure was not sound enough for authorities to go inside.
PG&E, fire, gas leak, martinez, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF 20 min ago
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 17 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 34 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos