East Bay News
Police arrest pair for alleged possession of loaded gun after chase
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A man and woman were arrested for alleged gun possession in San Leandro Saturday night after leading officers on a brief chase that ended in a crash, police said.
At about 10:25 p.m. Saturday, an officer attempted to stop a car for a traffic violation in the parking lot of the Nimitz Motel at 555 Lewelling Blvd, according to police.
But instead of stopping, the driver of the vehicle accelerated, speeding around the officer's patrol car and exiting the parking lot. Police said the suspect drove recklessly into traffic on Lewelling Boulevard and crashed into another car, police said.
Police said that as the officer approached the scene of the crash, the driver, a man in his late 20s, and passenger, a woman in her late 20s, both exited the vehicle and started running.
The officer gave chase on foot and apprehended the driver while additional officers apprehended the passenger, who threw a semiautomatic handgun over a nearby fence as she ran, according to police.
Police recovered the gun and found that it was loaded.
Both suspects were arrested on suspicion of possessing a loaded firearm. Police said they are not releasing the suspects name pending further investigation.
The driver of the other car involved in the suspects' crash was uninjured, police said.
""This is an active investigation. The suspects, who chose not to accept responsibility for their illegal activities placed citizens and officers directly in harm's way," Lt. Jeff Tudor said in a statement. "It is fortunate that no one was seriously injured during this incident."
san leandro, guns, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning 19 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen... 22 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos