East Bay News
Castro Valley residents set to debate marriage equality
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. -- Marriage equality is still a polarizing topic, and tonight, members of the Castro Valley community will debate it at their local library.
Moderated by Castro Valley High School's debate team member Reema Kakaday, six people -- three for and three against same-sex marriage -- will defend their views beginning at 6 p.m. at the Castro Valley Public Library at 3600 Norbridge Ave.
Billy Bradford, a gay Castro Valley resident and activist for Marriage Equality USA and GetEQUAL, will argue in favor of same-sex marriage along with the Rev. Dr. Arlene Nehring of Eden United Church of Christ and Dr. Irene Landaw, a pediatrician at Kaiser.
Nehring is gay and legally married with a family, Bradford said. Landaw is a "straight ally" who believes marriage should be equal, Bradford said.
Castro Valley residents Stacy Spink, Peter Hauer and Trinity Bustria will argue against same-sex marriage rights.
The debate came about after several months of back-and-forth interactions through "letters to the editor" submissions to the local community newspaper, Bradford said.
Bradford said he doesn't expect an end to the debate, but is hoping that a face-to-face discussion will help the community understand his position.
"People who are curious of us and why we care so much, I want them to see us and our passion," Bradford said. "I think they think we are trying to hurt marriage but we are no different from them. We want the same things."
Security guards will be on hand as a precaution, Bradford said.
castro valley, same sex marriage, east bay news
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos