East Bay News
Women and children's shelter gets $50K donation
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (KGO) -- A Bay Area organization vital to the lives of women and children who have nowhere to turn received a much-needed donation Tuesday.
Alameda County Supervisor Wilma Chan presented a $50,000 check to Building Futures with Women and Children. The San Leandro-based nonprofit runs a hotline and shelters for battered and homeless women and their children.
"In Alameda County it's estimated that over a quarter million residents will be victims of domestic violence at some time in their lives," Chan said.
Those funds will help Building Futures get through a budget crunch.
This year, its 24-hour crisis line is on track to respond to 9,200 calls.
san leandro, homeless, children, east bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos