East Bay News
Mother, two children struck by car in Fremont
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman and her two children were hit by a car as they crossed a street in Fremont Wednesday. She and one of the children, who she was pushing in a stroller, were seriously hurt and the incident appears to be the result of road rage. Both remained in a hospital Wednesday evening where they were recovering from serious head injuries.
A car, a tricycle, and a stroller provide an instant picture of the terrifying crash which happened around 11 a.m. at the intersection of Peralta and Fremont Blvd. Fremont police say the 21-year-old driver of a white Nissan Maxima was involved in a road rage confrontation several blocks away which apparently set in motion a tragic chain of events. "It continued down Peralta. When the second driver thought this is getting weird, this is getting crazy, he backed off," Detective Bill Veteran told ABC7 News. The Nissan driver tried to make a right turn at Fremont and that's when he lost control.
Another driver, who stopped in a crosswalk at the scene of the crash, says he saw the crash happening in slow motion. "He started fishtailing and with no sign of stopping or slowing down or whatever, he comes up, hits the corner, hits the lady and her two kids," he recalled.
The 43-year-old mother and her 1-year-old daughter in the stroller suffered serious head injuries. They were taken to separate hospitals. A 5-year-old girl riding a tricycle was not hurt. Witnesses say the driver of the Nissan jumped out of the car. "I saw a gentleman get out of the car, and he had taken the lady off of the front of his car, and then a pedestrian across the street came running and told them to stop, and got him to put the lady down," one man said.
Police say the driver also went to a hospital with minor injuries and is now in police custody.
UPDATE: Surveillance video later showed that only one of the children was struck by the car.
fremont, children, crash, road rage, east bay news, karina rusk
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 46 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
43 min ago