East Bay News
4 police departments receive mysterious substance
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A fourth report of a mysterious substance delivered to a police department in Alameda County came in this afternoon, a county fire spokeswoman said.
Just after 3:05 p.m., Alameda County's hazardous materials team responded to the Union City Police Department in the 34000 block of Niles-Alvarado Road, county fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
In Berkeley, another package carrying an unknown substance was reported in the building at 2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way at 2:15 p.m., Berkeley police said.
The department's building was partially evacuated, a police officer said.
Knowles said county fire crews were working with Berkeley firefighters to identify the substance.
Earlier, the county hazmat team and firefighters responded to the San Leandro police station at 901 E. 14th St. after an unknown substance was reported there around 1:45 p.m., Knowles said.
The substance has since been tested and deemed harmless, she said.
This morning a powdery substance was also delivered to the Hayward Police Department.
Tests this afternoon revealed the substance in Hayward was not anthrax, according to Hayward fire officials.
Knowles did not immediately know if the four incidents are connected.
Berkeley police said they were in contact with the Hayward and San Leandro police departments to determine if there is a link.
hayward, evacuation, east bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos