East Bay News
Man sentenced for son's accidental shooting death
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- A man whose 4-year-old son fatally shot his brother using the father's gun in their Antioch home in 2010 was sentenced to nearly seven years in prison in Contra Costa County Superior Court this morning.
Eddie Carr, 29, received the six-year, eight-month sentence after pleading no contest to felony child endangerment and criminal storage of a firearm with an enhancement for injury resulting in death, as well as drug and weapons possession charges, Deputy District Attorney Paul Graves said.
Carr previously pleaded not guilty to the charges stemming from his 2-year-old son Jyonn Carr's shooting death on Dec. 2, 2010.
On that morning, Carr's 4-year-old son grabbed a gun that his father had loaded and placed in a drawer and accidentally shot his younger brother, police said.
The boys' mother, Laqinda Modique, then 27, had recently purchased the gun, according to police.
The two boys were in the care of their grandmother when they found the weapon in a back bedroom, police said.
Both parents were arrested on suspicion of child endangerment, but Modique was never prosecuted, according to attorneys.
Carr was arrested both in December 2010 and again last December after police found cocaine and several firearms at one of his residences in Pittsburg. He again posted bail and served a total of three days in prison in connection with both arrests, Graves said.
Graves said the district attorney's office sought an eight-year sentence for Carr.
martinez, shooting, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate 32 min ago
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 4 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos