East Bay News
Road rage suspect arraigned
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- A Union City man was in court Friday to face felony charges for running into a mother and her child. Police say it stems from a road rage confrontation with another driver.
Joseph Ansari, 21, was arraigned at the Alameda County Superior Courthouse. When asked if he would be able to afford a lawyer he told the judge, "no." He will now be assigned a public defender.
Ansari is out on bail and expected to appear in court one week from Friday.
Surveillance video released Thursday shows the moment when Ansari's car lost control, barely missing a little boy on a tricycle, but ended up slamming into the toddler's mother and sister, who was in a stroller.
Fremont police say Ansari and another man were involved in a road rage confrontation on Peralta Boulevard. The second driver eventually backed off while Ansari continued and lost control of his car.
He faces two felony charges including reckless driving, causing bodily injury.
"This particular offense has a possible maximum sentence of three years in state prison and so that's potentially what he is facing on that count," Deputy District Attorney Mark Melton said.
The second driver is cooperating with investigators and is a witness at this time. But, the DA says that second man could potentially be charged because he too was engaged in a speeding contest.
The 43-year-old injured mother and her 1-year-old daughter are now out of the hospital and are recovering at home.
fremont, children, crash, road rage, east bay news, lyanne melendez
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash 54 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday