East Bay News
Road rage suspect arraigned
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- A Union City man was in court Friday to face felony charges for running into a mother and her child. Police say it stems from a road rage confrontation with another driver.
Joseph Ansari, 21, was arraigned at the Alameda County Superior Courthouse. When asked if he would be able to afford a lawyer he told the judge, "no." He will now be assigned a public defender.
Ansari is out on bail and expected to appear in court one week from Friday.
Surveillance video released Thursday shows the moment when Ansari's car lost control, barely missing a little boy on a tricycle, but ended up slamming into the toddler's mother and sister, who was in a stroller.
Fremont police say Ansari and another man were involved in a road rage confrontation on Peralta Boulevard. The second driver eventually backed off while Ansari continued and lost control of his car.
He faces two felony charges including reckless driving, causing bodily injury.
"This particular offense has a possible maximum sentence of three years in state prison and so that's potentially what he is facing on that count," Deputy District Attorney Mark Melton said.
The second driver is cooperating with investigators and is a witness at this time. But, the DA says that second man could potentially be charged because he too was engaged in a speeding contest.
The 43-year-old injured mother and her 1-year-old daughter are now out of the hospital and are recovering at home.
fremont, children, crash, road rage, east bay news, lyanne melendez
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket 42 min ago
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition 2 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bay Bridge bolt fix running a month behind schedule 35 min ago
- SF supervisor proposes ban on botled water 16 min ago
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 15 min ago
- Woman distracted by FB on phone falls off pier 58 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- SF supervisor proposes ban on botled water
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos