East Bay News
Men who shot at CHP vehicle still at large
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Police have arrested two men and are searching for two more in connection with a shooting that shattered the rear window of an occupied California Highway Patrol car in Oakland Saturday night.
The shooting occurred around 10 p.m. near the High Street on-ramp to Interstate Highway 880 in Oakland, CHP Officer Sam Morgan said.
Moments earlier, a CHP officer attempted to stop a van in the area of 54th Avenue and International Boulevard whose driver was not wearing a seatbelt, Morgan said. The van failed to yield to the officer, prompting a short chase.
During the pursuit, a black Acura sedan started ramming into the patrol car, and the officer broadcasted a call for backup on CHP radio, Morgan said.
The driver of the Acura rear-ended the patrol car several more times on 42nd Street near Highway 880 and a man inside the suspect car shot at the patrol car, shattering the rear window but missing the officer.
Both the Acura and the van involved in the chase fled the scene, speeding onto southbound Highway 880 via the High Street exit, Morgan said.
Officers located the van a short time later in a parking lot near 66th Avenue and Highway 880. The van's two occupants were also located and arrested.
The Acura was also located at a Shell gas station near East 10th Street, and officers determined that it had been registered as a stolen vehicle.
Morgan said the two suspects occupying the Acura are still at large, and are described only as Hispanic men.
The shooting remains under investigation, he said.
oakland, CHP, shooting, east bay news
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 11 min ago
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday