East Bay News
Two injured in shooting on I-80 near Hercules
HERCULES, Calif. -- An El Sobrante man and a Hercules woman are recovering from gunshot wounds today after someone fired into their car as they drove on Interstate Highway 80 on Tuesday night, a police spokeswoman said.
The victims' white, four-door 2006 Pontiac was heading east on I-80 between Pinole Valley Road and state Highway 4 when the shooting happened at sometime around 10:40 p.m., Hercules police Reserve Officer Connie Van Putten said.
There were seven people in the Pontiac at the time, including four children.
Van Putten said someone in another vehicle shot at the driver's side of the Pontiac, blowing out one of the car's windows.
The Pontiac spun out onto the shoulder of the highway. Afterward, the driver took the Willow Road exit and stopped at the 76/Circle K gas station, Van Putten said.
The man who was injured was driving the Pontiac, and suffered wounds to his hands, Van Putten said. The woman was in the front passenger seat and suffered a gunshot wound as well as a broken arm, Van Putten said.
Both victims are 24 years old.
None of the four children -- a 12-year-old boy, 8-year-old girl and two 3-year-old girls -- was injured, and all are with family, Van Putten said.
Another passenger, a 26-year-old Richmond man, was sitting in the back seat and was uninjured, Van Putten said.
The two injured victims were taken to a hospital, and are expected to survive, Van Putten said. The woman underwent surgery.
Van Putten said police do not yet have a description of the shooter or the suspect vehicle. The motive for the shooting remains under investigation.
Part of I-80 was closed briefly while police investigated the incident, Van Putten said.
hercules, shooting, east bay news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 11 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested 15 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Meet this week's Perfect Pet
54 min ago