East Bay News
Elderly woman brutally attacked in January dies
RICHMOND, Calif. -- An elderly El Cerrito woman who was beaten and sexually assaulted in Richmond earlier this year died from her injuries Tuesday, a police lieutenant said Wednesday.
Police said 82-year-old Sun Kwon was walking along San Pablo Avenue in Richmond early the morning of Jan. 28 when she was attacked.
At around 9:15 a.m. that day, a manager at the Big O Tires store at 10733 San Pablo Ave. found Kwon on the ground behind the shop, bloodied, bruised and unconscious.
She was taken to a hospital, where she was treated for major head injuries suffered in the attack. She did not regain consciousness, Richmond police Lt. Bisa French said.
With no leads in the case, police are asking for the public's help in finding a suspect in what is now being treated as a homicide.
"It's a brutal attack," French said. "We're looking for anyone with any kind of information -- we're hoping the suspect may have talked to someone or mentioned anything about this attack."
Police said Kwon lives nearby and regularly went for walks in the neighborhood where she was attacked, which is near the El Cerrito border.
Anyone with information about the crime is urged to call Richmond police at (510) 233-1214. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call the Police Department's 24-hour tip line at (510) 232-8477.
crime, el cerrito, richmond, east bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested 8 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Fatal collision blocks lanes on I-880 near Coliseum
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer...
8 min ago