East Bay News
Elderly woman brutally attacked in January dies
RICHMOND, Calif. -- An elderly El Cerrito woman who was beaten and sexually assaulted in Richmond earlier this year died from her injuries Tuesday, a police lieutenant said Wednesday.
Police said 82-year-old Sun Kwon was walking along San Pablo Avenue in Richmond early the morning of Jan. 28 when she was attacked.
At around 9:15 a.m. that day, a manager at the Big O Tires store at 10733 San Pablo Ave. found Kwon on the ground behind the shop, bloodied, bruised and unconscious.
She was taken to a hospital, where she was treated for major head injuries suffered in the attack. She did not regain consciousness, Richmond police Lt. Bisa French said.
With no leads in the case, police are asking for the public's help in finding a suspect in what is now being treated as a homicide.
"It's a brutal attack," French said. "We're looking for anyone with any kind of information -- we're hoping the suspect may have talked to someone or mentioned anything about this attack."
Police said Kwon lives nearby and regularly went for walks in the neighborhood where she was attacked, which is near the El Cerrito border.
Anyone with information about the crime is urged to call Richmond police at (510) 233-1214. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call the Police Department's 24-hour tip line at (510) 232-8477.
crime, el cerrito, richmond, east bay news
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms 18 min ago
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions 13 min ago
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food, new rides 22 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park
- Medical association recognizes obesity as a disease
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co.
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- 49ers sign DE Justin Smith to 2-year extension
- Three arrested in connection with fatal E. SJ stabbing 7 min ago
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear...
13 min ago
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food,...
22 min ago