East Bay News
One dead after shooting at Oakland pot grow house
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police are searching for two men involved in a deadly home invasion that left an intruder and a dog dead. It happened at 4:40 a.m., two blocks from police headquarters, in Oakland's Chinatown on the 300 block of 7th Street.
"Upon arrival they found one individual that was deceased of apparent gunshots. They detained another person in the house who appears to be the homeowner," said Oakland Police Lt. Kevin Wiley.
That homeowner is now being questioned. Police say he apparently shot and killed one of three suspects that forced their way inside. The homeowner's dog was also killed, but a second dog did survive. Police uncovered a marijuana growing operation in the house. The question now is if the homeowner can prove that the growing operation is legal.
"There would be certain legal documents and we want to confirm those as well, just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean it is legitimate," said Wiley.
Wiley said if the marijuana operation is legal, police can't confiscate anything.
One of the big questions is whether the homeowner will face charges in the shooting. Oakland police are also not commenting on the weapons used or the suspects that are still at large.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, marijuana, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 56 min ago
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting 30 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday