East Bay News
One dead after shooting at Oakland pot grow house
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police are searching for two men involved in a deadly home invasion that left an intruder and a dog dead. It happened at 4:40 a.m., two blocks from police headquarters, in Oakland's Chinatown on the 300 block of 7th Street.
"Upon arrival they found one individual that was deceased of apparent gunshots. They detained another person in the house who appears to be the homeowner," said Oakland Police Lt. Kevin Wiley.
That homeowner is now being questioned. Police say he apparently shot and killed one of three suspects that forced their way inside. The homeowner's dog was also killed, but a second dog did survive. Police uncovered a marijuana growing operation in the house. The question now is if the homeowner can prove that the growing operation is legal.
"There would be certain legal documents and we want to confirm those as well, just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean it is legitimate," said Wiley.
Wiley said if the marijuana operation is legal, police can't confiscate anything.
One of the big questions is whether the homeowner will face charges in the shooting. Oakland police are also not commenting on the weapons used or the suspects that are still at large.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, marijuana, east bay news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 5 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing 47 min ago
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Protesters to march vs Monsanto in 250 cities
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos