East Bay News
One dead after shooting at Oakland pot grow house
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police are searching for two men involved in a deadly home invasion that left an intruder and a dog dead. It happened at 4:40 a.m., two blocks from police headquarters, in Oakland's Chinatown on the 300 block of 7th Street.
"Upon arrival they found one individual that was deceased of apparent gunshots. They detained another person in the house who appears to be the homeowner," said Oakland Police Lt. Kevin Wiley.
That homeowner is now being questioned. Police say he apparently shot and killed one of three suspects that forced their way inside. The homeowner's dog was also killed, but a second dog did survive. Police uncovered a marijuana growing operation in the house. The question now is if the homeowner can prove that the growing operation is legal.
"There would be certain legal documents and we want to confirm those as well, just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean it is legitimate," said Wiley.
Wiley said if the marijuana operation is legal, police can't confiscate anything.
One of the big questions is whether the homeowner will face charges in the shooting. Oakland police are also not commenting on the weapons used or the suspects that are still at large.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, marijuana, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 32 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos