East Bay News
Second suspect named in Richmond teen's death
RICHMOND, Calif. -- Police have named a second suspect in Sunday night's shooting death of a 16-year-old Richmond high school football player.
Ulises Grijalva was found fatally wounded at 121 W. Macdonald Ave. in Richmond after a report of shots fired came in at 9:30 p.m., Richmond police said.
One suspect, parolee Jacob Stephens, 29, of Antioch, was arrested on a parole violation while allegedly fleeing the scene that night, police said.
On Tuesday police named the second suspect as Matthew John Capanis, a 27-year-old who they say has a history of arrests for weapons and violent crimes in Contra Costa County.
He was convicted of domestic violence but released from jail to a home in Lafayette in October 2011 as part of a state post-release community service program.
Capanis is described as 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing 180 pounds. He has brown eyes and hair. His arms and back are covered in tattoos.
Police said Capanis is considered armed and dangerous.
Ulises, a 6-foot, 278-pound offensive lineman on Kennedy High School's varsity football team, was heading into his junior year at Kennedy High. The first day of practice was scheduled for Monday, West Contra Costa Unified School District spokesman Marin Trujillo said.
Practice has been pushed back until later this week, but the team met with head coach Mack Carminer on Monday to discuss what happened to their teammate.
Grief counselors have been made available for students, faculty and staff.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Richmond police detectives Wentz at (510) 621-1259 or Wellhausen at (510) 620-6860.
martinez, crime, shooting, richmond, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos