East Bay News
Hot weather prompts 'Spare the Air' day for Thursday
BAY AREA -- Temperatures are expected to approach 100 degrees in inland parts of the Bay Area this week, according to the National Weather Service.
Santa Rosa, Napa, Concord, Livermore and areas south of San Jose will see temperatures in the 90s and up to 100 degrees on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, meteorologist Steve Anderson said.
Areas around the San Francisco Bay will be in the 70s and 80s, while coastal regions will see highs in the 60s.
"The good news is, temperatures won't be hot at the coast. The bad news is, temperatures won't be warm at the coast," Anderson said.
Wednesday will be warm but not as hot as the rest of the week, he said.
A Spare the Air advisory has been issued for the Bay Area on Thursday. Additional Spare the Air days may occur on Friday and Saturday, according to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.
During Spare the Air days, residents are encouraged to cut back on polluting activities, including driving and using gas-powered lawnmowers. Those with respiratory issues should limit their time outdoors.
The hot weather also heightens fire danger, particularly in areas with dry grass or brush, Cal Fire spokesman Dan Berlant said. Campers and hikers should be especially careful when using fire in brushy areas, he said.
Those sticking close to home are also advised to be vigilant.
"One of the common causes of fires at home is equipment use, such as lawnmowers or weed-eaters," Berlant said. "On a hot day, especially when it's windy, it's easy for a mower blade to strike a rock and spark a fire on dry grass."
Temperatures should begin to cool off on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, according to Anderson.
In the meantime, he said, "If you're east of the hills and you're getting too hot, just head over the hills and you can cool off."
spare the air, heat wave, east bay news
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- BART police chief bringing auditor to assess reforms 43 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue 34 min ago
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park 38 min ago
- Medical association recognizes obesity as a disease 45 min ago
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co. 21 min ago
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- Miami Heat force Game 7 in NBA Finals
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday