East Bay News
30-year-old woman killed in crash While making illegal u-turn
BRENTWOOD, Calif. -- A crash that killed a 30-year-old woman occurred after the woman made an illegal turn while driving in unincorporated Contra Costa County near Brentwood Friday night, a California Highway Patrol spokeswoman said.
The fatal crash was reported at 9:20 p.m. on Vasco Road just north of Camino Diablo Road. A Sig-alert was issued 9:54 p.m. and canceled just less than an hour later, CHP Sgt. Diana McDermott said.
The woman in a Geo Tracker traveling northbound on Vasco Road for an unknown reason made a U-turn onto the southbound lane, McDermott said.
A red Toyota Camry going the speed limit at about 55 mph in the southbound lane then broadsided the Tracker.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, McDermott said. The spokeswoman did not know the condition of the Camry driver after the accident.
The woman had made the U-turn about a quarter-mile from the intersection at Camino Diablo Road and approached the southbound lane from right-hand side of the two-lane road that is separated by double yellow lines, McDermott said.
Investigators are working with witnesses and looking into factors leading up to the deadly crash, including road conditions, weather, whether the woman had been wearing a seatbelt and if drugs or alcohol were involved.
crash, brentwood, east bay news
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 59 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos