East Bay News
30-year-old woman killed in crash While making illegal u-turn
BRENTWOOD, Calif. -- A crash that killed a 30-year-old woman occurred after the woman made an illegal turn while driving in unincorporated Contra Costa County near Brentwood Friday night, a California Highway Patrol spokeswoman said.
The fatal crash was reported at 9:20 p.m. on Vasco Road just north of Camino Diablo Road. A Sig-alert was issued 9:54 p.m. and canceled just less than an hour later, CHP Sgt. Diana McDermott said.
The woman in a Geo Tracker traveling northbound on Vasco Road for an unknown reason made a U-turn onto the southbound lane, McDermott said.
A red Toyota Camry going the speed limit at about 55 mph in the southbound lane then broadsided the Tracker.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, McDermott said. The spokeswoman did not know the condition of the Camry driver after the accident.
The woman had made the U-turn about a quarter-mile from the intersection at Camino Diablo Road and approached the southbound lane from right-hand side of the two-lane road that is separated by double yellow lines, McDermott said.
Investigators are working with witnesses and looking into factors leading up to the deadly crash, including road conditions, weather, whether the woman had been wearing a seatbelt and if drugs or alcohol were involved.
crash, brentwood, east bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case