East Bay News
Vasco Road crash victim identified as San Jose woman
BRENTWOOD, Calif. -- A woman who died in a crash after she attempted to make an illegal turn near Brentwood on Friday night has been identified by the Contra Costa County coroner's office as Jennifer Rupe, 30, of San Jose.
The crash was reported at 9:20 p.m. on Vasco Road just north of Camino Diablo Road.
Rupe was driving a Geo Tracker north on Vasco Road when she made a U-turn for an unknown reason, CHP Sgt. Diana McDermott said. A red Toyota Camry traveling south at the 55 mph speed limit then broadsided the Tracker.
Rupe was pronounced dead at the scene.
The CHP is still investigating the circumstances of the crash, including road and weather conditions, whether the woman was wearing a seatbelt, and whether drugs or alcohol were involved.
There is a double-yellow line separating north- and southbound traffic on the stretch of Vasco Road where the crash happened.
A Sig-alert was issued 9:54 p.m. and canceled about an hour later, McDermott said.
crash, brentwood, san jose, east bay news
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire 38 min ago
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets 51 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos