East Bay News
Police pursuit caused headache for I-880 drivers
OAKLAND (KGO) -- Oakland police were on a hot pursuit of a suspected stolen car when the driver lost control and the vehicle overturned on I-880 near Oracle Arena.
Tasered by police, the suspect was handcuffed and kept face down on the ground. Police had their guns pointed at the man. The car he was driving overturned, leading officials to close several lanes of northbound I-880. This created a backup that went all the way into San Lorenzo.
Police say they tried to stop the driver near Hegenberger Road because they suspected it was a stolen car. The pursuit happened after officers tried to pull the car over and the driver sped away.
During the chase, several cars were hit, including one owned by a Union City family with a child in the backseat. Fortunately the young boy was safely strapped in a car seat and was not hurt.
Rahdi Umapathy says the family had been on their way to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom when they were hit, "It was a big sound that I heard and the baby was sleeping next to me and suddenly when I turned around the glass was shattered and when we turned back the car was upside down."
Husband Viswanathan Umapathy added, "I think he was coming very fast, so he hit us and one more van and a truck. It was a big bump. I am assuming that I am fine."
No one suffered major injuries. The suspect was put inside an ambulance and sent to the hospital. He will be taken later to jail.
crash, police chase, oakland, east bay news, lyanne melendez
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan alerts family to burning home
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body