East Bay News
Police pursuit caused headache for I-880 drivers
OAKLAND (KGO) -- Oakland police were on a hot pursuit of a suspected stolen car when the driver lost control and the vehicle overturned on I-880 near Oracle Arena.
Tasered by police, the suspect was handcuffed and kept face down on the ground. Police had their guns pointed at the man. The car he was driving overturned, leading officials to close several lanes of northbound I-880. This created a backup that went all the way into San Lorenzo.
Police say they tried to stop the driver near Hegenberger Road because they suspected it was a stolen car. The pursuit happened after officers tried to pull the car over and the driver sped away.
During the chase, several cars were hit, including one owned by a Union City family with a child in the backseat. Fortunately the young boy was safely strapped in a car seat and was not hurt.
Rahdi Umapathy says the family had been on their way to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom when they were hit, "It was a big sound that I heard and the baby was sleeping next to me and suddenly when I turned around the glass was shattered and when we turned back the car was upside down."
Husband Viswanathan Umapathy added, "I think he was coming very fast, so he hit us and one more van and a truck. It was a big bump. I am assuming that I am fine."
No one suffered major injuries. The suspect was put inside an ambulance and sent to the hospital. He will be taken later to jail.
crash, police chase, oakland, east bay news, lyanne melendez
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii 18 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety 36 min ago
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley 23 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates 33 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 35 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Homicide suspected after body found in San Jose
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- 7OYS explains how to get free car inspections
- Sharks beat Kings 4-3 in OT, take 3-0 series lead
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Suspected San Jose homicide; Warriors Arena
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos