East Bay News
Police pursuit caused headache for I-880 drivers
OAKLAND (KGO) -- Oakland police were on a hot pursuit of a suspected stolen car when the driver lost control and the vehicle overturned on I-880 near Oracle Arena.
Tasered by police, the suspect was handcuffed and kept face down on the ground. Police had their guns pointed at the man. The car he was driving overturned, leading officials to close several lanes of northbound I-880. This created a backup that went all the way into San Lorenzo.
Police say they tried to stop the driver near Hegenberger Road because they suspected it was a stolen car. The pursuit happened after officers tried to pull the car over and the driver sped away.
During the chase, several cars were hit, including one owned by a Union City family with a child in the backseat. Fortunately the young boy was safely strapped in a car seat and was not hurt.
Rahdi Umapathy says the family had been on their way to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom when they were hit, "It was a big sound that I heard and the baby was sleeping next to me and suddenly when I turned around the glass was shattered and when we turned back the car was upside down."
Husband Viswanathan Umapathy added, "I think he was coming very fast, so he hit us and one more van and a truck. It was a big bump. I am assuming that I am fine."
No one suffered major injuries. The suspect was put inside an ambulance and sent to the hospital. He will be taken later to jail.
crash, police chase, oakland, east bay news, lyanne melendez
- San Jose suing MLB for not allowing A's to move
- Dixon boy fatally mauled by dog in Union City
- One dead in Sunnyvale house fire on Central Avenue
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Colma BART station reopened after fatality
- 7 construction workers, firefighter hurt in SF General fire
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after SF Hwy 101 crash
- Authorities: Unattended campfire caused Calif. fire 43 min ago
- Intel chief: NSA foiled dozens of terrorist plots 59 min ago
- Woman attacked by girls on Muni Metro train
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: 'Night Stalker's' cause of death; CA water
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Intel chief: NSA foiled dozens of terrorist...
59 min ago