East Bay News
22-year-old air force reserve airman killed in solo-crash
PLEASANTON. Calif. -- A 22-year-old woman was killed in a solo-vehicle accident early Saturday morning at a northbound Interstate Highway 680 on-ramp in Pleasanton, according to a California Highway Patrol officer and the Alameda County coroner's bureau.
Samantha Emslander, from Galt in Sacramento County, was in a convertible with another occupant, that crashed into a ditch on the side of the Bernal Avenue on-ramp around 12:20 a.m., according to CHP and the coroner's bureau.
Emslander was killed in the crash, while the other victim suffered unknown injuries, CHP Officer James Evans.
Evans said the driver reportedly had fallen asleep at the wheel. The incident remains under investigation.
Emslander's Facebook profile lists her as a 2007 graduate of Galt High School and working at Raley Field in Sacramento as a ticket operator.
She also posted she is in the U.S. Air Force.
Her hometown's Galt Herald online newspaper included a brief about Emslander in October 2009 after she graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, according to the article.
pleasanton, crash, east bay news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive 48 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University 22 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Fresno police seek suspects in teacher's shooting 2 min ago
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday