East Bay News
Car crash causes temporary evacuation at Cal dorm
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A car jumped a curb around 3 a.m., sheared off the top of gas meter and then came to rest against Putnam Hall at UC Berkeley. PG&E shut off the gas and engineers have checked the stability of the structure.
About a couple hundred students were temporarily evacuated as a precaution. They were taken to other facilities on campus and have since been let back in the dorm.
A UC Berkeley police captain said the driver fled the scene and then came back. The driver was charged with DUI and hit-and-run.
uc berkeley, PG&E, gas leak, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 18 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement 34 min ago
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach 28 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set 27 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos