East Bay News
Car crash causes temporary evacuation at Cal dorm
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A car jumped a curb around 3 a.m., sheared off the top of gas meter and then came to rest against Putnam Hall at UC Berkeley. PG&E shut off the gas and engineers have checked the stability of the structure.
About a couple hundred students were temporarily evacuated as a precaution. They were taken to other facilities on campus and have since been let back in the dorm.
A UC Berkeley police captain said the driver fled the scene and then came back. The driver was charged with DUI and hit-and-run.
uc berkeley, PG&E, gas leak, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- Report: Yahoo nearing $1.1B acquisition of Tumblr
- Get Free Stuff: Purse, nail kit, comedy show
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday