East Bay News
Car crash causes temporary evacuation at Cal dorm
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A car jumped a curb around 3 a.m., sheared off the top of gas meter and then came to rest against Putnam Hall at UC Berkeley. PG&E shut off the gas and engineers have checked the stability of the structure.
About a couple hundred students were temporarily evacuated as a precaution. They were taken to other facilities on campus and have since been let back in the dorm.
A UC Berkeley police captain said the driver fled the scene and then came back. The driver was charged with DUI and hit-and-run.
uc berkeley, PG&E, gas leak, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday