East Bay News
Car crash causes temporary evacuation at Cal dorm
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A car jumped a curb around 3 a.m., sheared off the top of gas meter and then came to rest against Putnam Hall at UC Berkeley. PG&E shut off the gas and engineers have checked the stability of the structure.
About a couple hundred students were temporarily evacuated as a precaution. They were taken to other facilities on campus and have since been let back in the dorm.
A UC Berkeley police captain said the driver fled the scene and then came back. The driver was charged with DUI and hit-and-run.
uc berkeley, PG&E, gas leak, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 45 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 39 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Mountain lion caught on camera in Hollywood Hlls 7 min ago
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 1 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 49 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 32 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos