East Bay News
Jewelry store owner shot to death in Hayward
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Police in Hayward are trying to find out what led to a fatal shooting inside the Espinoza Jewelry Boutique Thursday afternoon.
Police say the victim of the shooting is the owner of the business who, as of Friday morning, remained unidentified because not all family members had been notified of his death.
The shooting happened around 3:15 p.m. Police entered the building but only found the victim. They made life-saving efforts, but the victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have identified employees who were there earlier, but say there is a gap of time when there were no eye witnesses.
More clues could come courtesy of surveillance video, but investigators don't yet know exactly what they have. "At this time, we're still looking at various surveillance video to see what we can learn from that but it's still too early to tell. We're exploring it as an investigative option," Sgt. Eric Melendez told ABC7 News, adding that the surveillance video might provide images from both inside and outside the store.
Police have no information on the suspect or suspects. They also have no information on why the store or its owner would be targeted. They would not say if robbery was the motive or if anything was taken from the store.
An autopsy will be performed on the victim Friday.
Anyone who witnessed anything suspicious on Tennyson Road Thursday is asked to call Hayward police.
hayward, crime, shooting, east bay news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- 5th day of searching for SJ CEO turns up empty
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos