East Bay News
Residents frustrated with spate of Oakland violence
OAKLAND (KGO) -- There have been 77 homicides so far this year, up from 74 last year. City officials and residents are frustrated and angry that the violence just won't stop.
The shootings started Friday night in West Oakland at about 8 p.m. on the 700 block of Sycamore. A 46-year-old man was shot and killed and a 7-year-old boy was grazed in the neck by a stray bullet. Police say more than 20 shots were fired in this incident
At about 3:30 a.m. Saturday a 12-year-old girl was wounded when bullets entered her home on the 2300 block of Church Street. According to Oakland police, no one else was hurt and there was no apparent motive for the shooting.
The third child wounded is a 14-year-old boy. He was shot while in an apartment complex on the 1900 block of 85th Avenue. This shooting also claimed the life of a 21-year-old woman who was visiting friends.
Unlike the other two children who are in stable condition, the 14-year-old is in critical condition in Children's Hospital.
What seems to be an endless epidemic of shootings has frustrated both residents and city officials.
"I'm tired of hearing about it. I'm tired of seeing it happening. I grew up in Oakland, it's just disgusting," resident Hakim Mohammed said.
Councilman Ignacio de la Fuente added, "The police need new tools. Tools used by other cities in San Jose, in Phoenix. You name it, gang injunctions, curfews, anti-loitering ordinance. That's the only way to get guns off the street."
Oakland police are asking the public to help identify the suspects in the shooting, saying there doesn't seem to be a clear motive for any of them.
Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $15,000 in reward money for information leading to the arrest of suspects in the two fatal shootings and up to $5,000 in the shooting of the 12-year-old and the ones on 14th Street and West Street.
crime, violence, guns, oakland, howard jordan, jean quan, east bay news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery 24 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting 30 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley 49 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Campaign looks to end use of 'bossy' with...
39 min ago