East Bay News
High speed chase ends in crash, arrests
OAKLAND (KGO) -- When police tried to pull over a carful of suspected burglars Wednesday it led to a high speed chase across several Bay Area freeways. It all started on Interstate 780 in Vallejo and ended when the driver crashed his Ford SUV at the intersection of Highway 24 West and Highway 13 South. Police arrested two men, but the hunt continues for a third.
"Three suspects jumped out, ran down the hillside into the neighborhood," Vallejo police lieutenant Abel Tenorio said.
Police gave chase on foot, but it didn't last long. A perimeter was put in place and within minutes, two of the men were taken into custody, while a police search continued for the third.
Officials with the Oakland Unified School District tell ABC7 News that Chabot Elementary was on lockdown as a precaution, but note that the order was brief. Administrators at nearby Bentley School said everything was fine.
Vallejo police requested help from the CHP when the driver of the SUV ignored an officer's request to stop and instead took off. Police say the men involved are burglary suspects and not only did they want to avoid being captured, but they also tried their best to get rid of their stolen goods, "A lot of the property that they had they were throwing out of the vehicle as the pursuit was occurring. Trying to get rid of evidence, exactly," Tenorio said.
Most of the tossed items were recovered along the freeway. Tenorio says all of it will be used to help police build a case and look for possible connections to others, "Next is we try to gather evidence and take the two suspects we have in custody back to Vallejo."
Police say they are looking for a black male in his 20's, clean shaven with short cropped hair. They believe that if he moved through the brushy area he may have been exposed to poison oak. Anyone with information is asked to call Vallejo police.
vallejo, oakland, police chase, crash, east bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe 13 min ago
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Time announces finalists for Person of the Year
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos