East Bay News
Tutor arrested after allegedly abusing juveniles
DUBLIN -- Dublin police arrested a man Sunday after San Ramon police notified the department that the man had possibly been involved in the child abuse of a 16-year-old victim, Dublin police said.
Dublin police arrested Hyunwoo Lee, 34, of Dublin, Sunday night after he admitted to physically abusing a juvenile, according to police.
Lee, a self-employed tutor, reportedly housed teenagers from South Korea on student VISAs that wanted to study in America, according to police.
The investigation revealed Lee physically assaulted the victim with a stick while forcing other students to watch -- and sometimes participate, police said.
Police said Lee may have been involved in multiple acts of violence in both Dublin and San Ramon between 2011 and 2012.
Lee was booked into Santa Rita Jail and charged with two felony counts of child abuse and one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon, Alameda County District Attorney's Office spokeswoman Teresa Drenick said.
Lee was arraigned on Tuesday, and is set to make a plea at the Glea-Schenome Hall of Justice in Pleasanton on Friday at 9 a.m.
dublin, san ramon, east bay news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope 17 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos