East Bay News
Fatal shooting prompts school lockdowns, shelter-in-place
BAY POINT, Calif. -- A man was shot and killed in Bay Point Thursday afternoon, a Contra Costa County Sheriff's captain confirmed.
Deputies responded to reports of shots fired near the intersection of Marina Road and Inlet Drive in Bay Point around 1:55 p.m. and located a man suffering from at least one gunshot wound, sheriff's office spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Emergency responders administered first aid to the victim, but he died from his injuries a short time later, Capt. Mark Williams said.
Deputies searched the area but have so far been unable to locate a suspect in the shooting, Williams said.
During the search, nearby Riverview Middle, Shore Acres Elementary and Rio Vista Elementary schools were on lockdown and residents in Bay Point's shoreline area hunkered down in their homes after a shelter-in-place warning was issued.
Residents were alerted that the shelter-in-place advisory was lifted shortly after 5 p.m.
Williams said an investigation into the shooting is ongoing.
pittsburg, bay point, crime, shooting, standoff, east bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen 10 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash 55 min ago
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal 44 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
58 min ago
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos