East Bay News
Man kidnaps kids, steals sailboat
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KGO) -- There is an ongoing search for a man who apparently abducted his children, taking them away in a stolen sailboat. They believe he stole the sail boat at Ballena Isle Marina in Alameda and headed toward Mare Island. He and his two young children are missing and so is a yacht.
South San Francisco, county and federal officials are looking for a man who they say kidnapped his two small children on Tuesday afternoon. Authorities say Christopher Maffei rented a car and drove from his home in Elk Grove, which is near Sacramento, and broke into his ex-girlfriend's house. She lives on James Court.
ABC7 News spoke to the ex-girlfriend on Thursday night and she said she was in the process of filing a restraining order in Redwood City, when he got into her home and took the couple's two children. Her mother was watching the kids at the time. She says Maffei ran down the street with the kids, still had his car running, put the kids inside and sped away.
"I'm afraid if they back him into a corner. I just don't want him to snap and do something really stupid more than what he's already done, so I'm just really worried for my kids and I just want them to come back home to me safe and unharmed," said the mother of the children.
After Maffei left South San Francisco officials say he drove to the Ballena Isle Marina in Alameda and stole a 40-foot yacht named "Unleashed" and it has San Francisco painted on the stern. The last time the yacht was seen was Wednesday around 6 p.m. near Mare Island near Vallejo.
Maffei is 43 years old, has dark hair and a short beard. His children are 4-year-old Brooklynn and 2-year-old Devin. Brooklynn was wearing a white, sleeveless dress with blue and green designs. Devin was wearing a short sleeve "Sponge Bob" shirt and a diaper.
Police do believe that Maffei could be heading to Monterey or as far away as Mexico.
south san francisco, alameda, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Concession workers launch one-day strike at AT&T 48 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast 24 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 25 min ago
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- San Jose structure fire displaces 5 people
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos