East Bay News
Man faces several charges for kidnapping children
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- Two South San Francisco toddlers are home safe and sound after being snatched from their own home and spending three nights on the run with their father.
3-year-old Brooklyn and 2-year-old Devin Maffei spent Saturday playing at a cousin's birthday party; this, just a mere 12 hours after the Coast Guard rescued them off a stolen yacht near Monterey."In my heart, you know I'm just so relieved they were found and they were safe," grandmother Jean Hipon said.
Authorities arrested the children's father, 43-year-old Christopher Maffei. He's charged with kidnapping, parental abduction, and child endangerment. According to Jean, on Tuesday afternoon Maffei jumped over a fence, broke into the house, grabbed the two kids, and ran down the street to his rental car, which was still running. He put the kids inside and sped away. Police say Maffei then drove to Alameda, where he stole a 40-foot yacht. San Francisco police, county officials, the FBI, and the Coast Guard tracked Maffei's open sea get away for three days. On Friday, just before 8 p.m., two boats filled with law enforcement and hostage negotiators moved in. "The suspect expressed that he was remorseful, that he wanted to do anything that he could to assist," South San Francisco Police Sgt. Bruce McPhillips said. While their father was taken into custody, the children were reunited with their mother, Jennifer Hipon. "She's exhausted, just exhausted. But she's happy," Jean said. Jennifer has been estranged from her ex-boyfriend for two years. In fact, the day her children were taken from her home, she was filing for a restraining order against Maffei.
south san francisco, alameda, coast guard, children, child abduction, monterey, monterey bay, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 27 min ago
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school 9 min ago
- Obama signs memo to strengthen overtime pay rules 59 min ago
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday