East Bay News
Man faces several charges for kidnapping children
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- Two South San Francisco toddlers are home safe and sound after being snatched from their own home and spending three nights on the run with their father.
3-year-old Brooklyn and 2-year-old Devin Maffei spent Saturday playing at a cousin's birthday party; this, just a mere 12 hours after the Coast Guard rescued them off a stolen yacht near Monterey."In my heart, you know I'm just so relieved they were found and they were safe," grandmother Jean Hipon said.
Authorities arrested the children's father, 43-year-old Christopher Maffei. He's charged with kidnapping, parental abduction, and child endangerment. According to Jean, on Tuesday afternoon Maffei jumped over a fence, broke into the house, grabbed the two kids, and ran down the street to his rental car, which was still running. He put the kids inside and sped away. Police say Maffei then drove to Alameda, where he stole a 40-foot yacht. San Francisco police, county officials, the FBI, and the Coast Guard tracked Maffei's open sea get away for three days. On Friday, just before 8 p.m., two boats filled with law enforcement and hostage negotiators moved in. "The suspect expressed that he was remorseful, that he wanted to do anything that he could to assist," South San Francisco Police Sgt. Bruce McPhillips said. While their father was taken into custody, the children were reunited with their mother, Jennifer Hipon. "She's exhausted, just exhausted. But she's happy," Jean said. Jennifer has been estranged from her ex-boyfriend for two years. In fact, the day her children were taken from her home, she was filing for a restraining order against Maffei.
south san francisco, alameda, coast guard, children, child abduction, monterey, monterey bay, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 51 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 24 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 24 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 23 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 31 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
51 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
40 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
45 min ago