East Bay News
Fisherman plays big role in rescuing kidnapped kids
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- There are new details on the abduction of two children from South San Francisco. On Sunday the fisherman who spotted the kidnapping suspect's boat about 50 miles off the coast, spoke exclusively to ABC7 News.
Russ Ott Robinette says he was trolling for tuna off Half Moon Bay Thursday afternoon when he noticed a boat sailing in circles. The man onboard told Robinette he was going to Hawaii and needed to buy fuel. The fisherman thought that request was odd, and asked, "Have you been in to Monterey or Half Moon Bay? If not, I'll direct you to the fuel dock and you can go in and get some fuel. His answer at that time was 'no, if I go in there I'll have to stay', which I found really, another red flag went up."That man was Christopher Maffei. Police say the 43-year-old kidnapped his son and daughter, 2-year-old Devin and 3-year-old Brooklyn, and stole a boat out of the Alameda Marina.
Robinette contacted the Coast Guard who arrested Maffei Friday night. The children are fine. Maffei is in the San Mateo County Jail. He's charged with kidnapping, parental abduction, and child endangerment.
south san francisco, alameda, coast guard, children, child abduction, monterey, monterey bay, east bay news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River
- Preliminary 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San...
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Hundreds of officers attend little girl's graduation
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos