East Bay News
Fisherman plays big role in rescuing kidnapped kids
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- There are new details on the abduction of two children from South San Francisco. On Sunday the fisherman who spotted the kidnapping suspect's boat about 50 miles off the coast, spoke exclusively to ABC7 News.
Russ Ott Robinette says he was trolling for tuna off Half Moon Bay Thursday afternoon when he noticed a boat sailing in circles. The man onboard told Robinette he was going to Hawaii and needed to buy fuel. The fisherman thought that request was odd, and asked, "Have you been in to Monterey or Half Moon Bay? If not, I'll direct you to the fuel dock and you can go in and get some fuel. His answer at that time was 'no, if I go in there I'll have to stay', which I found really, another red flag went up."That man was Christopher Maffei. Police say the 43-year-old kidnapped his son and daughter, 2-year-old Devin and 3-year-old Brooklyn, and stole a boat out of the Alameda Marina.
Robinette contacted the Coast Guard who arrested Maffei Friday night. The children are fine. Maffei is in the San Mateo County Jail. He's charged with kidnapping, parental abduction, and child endangerment.
south san francisco, alameda, coast guard, children, child abduction, monterey, monterey bay, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 59 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 48 min ago
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati 42 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water...
48 min ago
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in...
42 min ago