East Bay News
Fisherman plays big role in rescuing kidnapped kids
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- There are new details on the abduction of two children from South San Francisco. On Sunday the fisherman who spotted the kidnapping suspect's boat about 50 miles off the coast, spoke exclusively to ABC7 News.
Russ Ott Robinette says he was trolling for tuna off Half Moon Bay Thursday afternoon when he noticed a boat sailing in circles. The man onboard told Robinette he was going to Hawaii and needed to buy fuel. The fisherman thought that request was odd, and asked, "Have you been in to Monterey or Half Moon Bay? If not, I'll direct you to the fuel dock and you can go in and get some fuel. His answer at that time was 'no, if I go in there I'll have to stay', which I found really, another red flag went up."That man was Christopher Maffei. Police say the 43-year-old kidnapped his son and daughter, 2-year-old Devin and 3-year-old Brooklyn, and stole a boat out of the Alameda Marina.
Robinette contacted the Coast Guard who arrested Maffei Friday night. The children are fine. Maffei is in the San Mateo County Jail. He's charged with kidnapping, parental abduction, and child endangerment.
south san francisco, alameda, coast guard, children, child abduction, monterey, monterey bay, east bay news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo 6 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos