East Bay News
Teacher arrested for lewd act with former student
ALBANY, Calif. (KGO) -- Worried parents in Albany are trying to get more information tonight about the arrest of a middle school teacher.
Students and parents at Albany Middle School were stunned Thursday morning to learn a popular teacher and coach had been arrested. James Izumizaki, 28, was arrested at his Albany home Wednesday on a single count of lewd acts with a child under the age of 14.
His former students can't believe Izumizaki's charged with such a crime. "I had him as a teacher and he was really nice and very charming and he was totally friendly, not in a creepy way, but in a hey, you're a cool teacher way," one student said.
Albany schools Superintendent Marla Stephenson says Izumizaki was hired as a substitute in 2007 and received a full-time position as a sixth-grade teacher in 2008. "He's very active at the middle school, involved in our student leadership program, our athletic coordinator, coaching seventh-grade volleyball and 8th grade boys' basketball," she said.
The allegation against Izumizaki came to light after the Albany high school principal contacted administrators at the middle school. Police would only say Izumizaki had an "inappropriate relationship" with an underage student who is still attending classes in the district.
"Arrested Mr. I? What?" one student exclaimed Thursday morning.
"I just hope it's not true. My daughter adored him. He was a great teacher. So, I've lived here all my life. I know him. As a student myself, I went to school. I just hope it's not true," Jessica McKinney said.
Willie Bennett has lived across from Izumizaki and his family for many years. "I'd give him all of my moral support that I can and I'd really like to know what's really going on behind it," he said.
Izumizaki was released from Santa Rita Jail in Dublin and is set to be arraigned in Oakland on Friday.
albany, crime, children, sex crimes, east bay news, laura anthony
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists 22 min ago
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead 17 min ago
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves 2 min ago
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday