East Bay News
Oakland police arrest suspect after manhunt
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police have lifted a neighborhood shelter-in-place order as well as a lockdown for several schools. They captured a parolee who crashed a car and then disappeared - prompting a massive police response.
Police described the suspect as armed and dangerous. The man was found by an Emeryville K9 unit and taken into police custody.
Police had been looking for him since 8 a.m.; they have not released his name or the charges he may face. Oakland police would only confirm that the male suspect was known to investigators and that there was an active warrant for his arrest when he was spotted by investigators patrolling the West Oakland neighborhood.
The suspect tried to get away and crashed his car into a pole. That's when police say he jumped out of the car and ran away on foot - doing his best to hide in backyards. Oakland police set up a perimeter and canvased the area with assistance from Emeryville PD's K9 unit. After a two-and-a-half hour search - Oakland police got their man.
"The wanted person was found in a yard. I can't go into details about where, we are still searching the area to make sure that no weapons or any evidence was left behind, but this person is wanted in connection with a crime, I can't go into the details right now because this is still a very active investigation," said Johnna Watson of the Oakland Police Department.
There was a temporary lockdown issued by the Oakland Unified School District at both Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School and Kipp Bridge Charter School.
Oakland police say that there were no injuries to officers, suspects or residents in the neighborhood.
oakland, OPD, crime, east bay news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California 33 min ago
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond 6 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos