East Bay News
Teens arrested for allegedly starting fire at City Park
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Two teenage boys were arrested Thursday for allegedly starting a fire at a playground in an Antioch park, police said today. Officers arrested a 17-year-old and 14-year-old, both from Antioch, on suspicion of arson in connection with the Sept. 17 fire at Antioch City Park at 1000 A St., police said.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. at a toddler play structure near the south side of the park's playground, according to police.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze but were unable to salvage the play structure.
Several days after the fire, police received a tip that it may have been set intentionally.
Following up on that lead, detectives were able to locate the two teenage suspects and arrested them Thursday evening.
Both suspects were taken to juvenile hall in Martinez, where they remained as of this morning, according to police.
Anyone with information about this case is encouraged to call Antioch police Detective Matt Koch at (925) 779-6895. Those wishing to remain anonymous can text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES) using key word "Antioch".
fire, arson, antioch, east bay news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation 2 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches 51 min ago
- Tyler, the Creator plays sold-out show after jail 7 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos