East Bay News
Teens arrested for allegedly starting fire at City Park
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Two teenage boys were arrested Thursday for allegedly starting a fire at a playground in an Antioch park, police said today. Officers arrested a 17-year-old and 14-year-old, both from Antioch, on suspicion of arson in connection with the Sept. 17 fire at Antioch City Park at 1000 A St., police said.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. at a toddler play structure near the south side of the park's playground, according to police.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze but were unable to salvage the play structure.
Several days after the fire, police received a tip that it may have been set intentionally.
Following up on that lead, detectives were able to locate the two teenage suspects and arrested them Thursday evening.
Both suspects were taken to juvenile hall in Martinez, where they remained as of this morning, according to police.
Anyone with information about this case is encouraged to call Antioch police Detective Matt Koch at (925) 779-6895. Those wishing to remain anonymous can text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES) using key word "Antioch".
fire, arson, antioch, east bay news
- Occupy the Farm protesters returning to Albany land
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Cyclists converge in Livermore for Amgen Tour of CA
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review 19 min ago
- Missing 3-year-old Hayward boy found
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom 45 min ago
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday