East Bay News
Teens arrested for allegedly starting fire at City Park
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Two teenage boys were arrested Thursday for allegedly starting a fire at a playground in an Antioch park, police said today. Officers arrested a 17-year-old and 14-year-old, both from Antioch, on suspicion of arson in connection with the Sept. 17 fire at Antioch City Park at 1000 A St., police said.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. at a toddler play structure near the south side of the park's playground, according to police.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze but were unable to salvage the play structure.
Several days after the fire, police received a tip that it may have been set intentionally.
Following up on that lead, detectives were able to locate the two teenage suspects and arrested them Thursday evening.
Both suspects were taken to juvenile hall in Martinez, where they remained as of this morning, according to police.
Anyone with information about this case is encouraged to call Antioch police Detective Matt Koch at (925) 779-6895. Those wishing to remain anonymous can text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES) using key word "Antioch".
fire, arson, antioch, east bay news
- Frigid Bay Area temperatures take deadly turn 5 min ago
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos