East Bay News
4 fatally shot in 3 separate Oakland shootings
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police are dealing with an extremely violent eight hours in which four people were shot to death. The most recent was at 6 a.m. when two people were killed at 72nd and International Boulevard. This follows two earlier shootings on MacArthur Boulevard last night within an hour-and-a-half of each other.
The most recent shooting happened when two men were sitting in a van together. Investigators believe someone went up and shot and killed both men. Two hours later, the whole neighborhood was out crying, embracing and watching the investigators.
Jasmaine Shivers said one of the victims is her cousin, Robert Dell. She says the 23-year-old was a hard worker, loved his family -- lived for his two-year-old son. She says he worked the night shift, and had gotten off of work at 10:30 last night. She and others believe he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
"I mean everybody that knew him knew he wasn't no trouble starter. They knew he wasn't out here, all he would do is work and literally come home. He don't hang out, he don't do nothing. If you want to come see him, you come see him. He don't hang out," said Shivers.
"Someone may have seen something, heard something. But in order to reduce gun violence, we have to work together. The community has been instrumental in the past in providing information that has led to arrest. We ask anyone to come forward with any information regarding this morning's shootings or last night's shootings," said Oakland Police Dept. Ofc. Johnna Watson.
This morning's killings come on the heels of two fatal shootings last night. Two men were killed in two separate shootings down the street from one another on MacArthur Boulevard, also in east Oakland. This morning's shooting deaths mark the 88th and 89th in Oakland this year.
oakland, shooting, east bay news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos