East Bay News
Fire breaks out at industrial yard in Richmond
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A two-alarm fire at an industrial yard in Richmond early this morning destroyed vehicles and equipment belonging to several businesses, a Richmond fire battalion chief said this morning.
Firefighters responded around 2:15 a.m. to a report of a fire in the yard, which is shared by five companies in the 500 block of Brookside Drive, Battalion Chief Merlin Turner said.
The businesses include a pallet manufacturer, a roofing company and a landscaping business, he said.
"The fire started in the pallet area and damaged several of the businesses," he said.
Crews struggled to access the yard, which is bounded on one side by a creek.
It took Richmond fire and Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews about three hours to knock down the blaze, which burned eucalyptus trees, several vehicles, a Bobcat tractor and other equipment, Turner said.
"There was extensive damage," he said.
No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Fire crews remained at the scene mid-morning today.
contra costa county, fire, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos