East Bay News
Fire breaks out at industrial yard in Richmond
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A two-alarm fire at an industrial yard in Richmond early this morning destroyed vehicles and equipment belonging to several businesses, a Richmond fire battalion chief said this morning.
Firefighters responded around 2:15 a.m. to a report of a fire in the yard, which is shared by five companies in the 500 block of Brookside Drive, Battalion Chief Merlin Turner said.
The businesses include a pallet manufacturer, a roofing company and a landscaping business, he said.
"The fire started in the pallet area and damaged several of the businesses," he said.
Crews struggled to access the yard, which is bounded on one side by a creek.
It took Richmond fire and Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews about three hours to knock down the blaze, which burned eucalyptus trees, several vehicles, a Bobcat tractor and other equipment, Turner said.
"There was extensive damage," he said.
No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Fire crews remained at the scene mid-morning today.
contra costa county, fire, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 5 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, tour bus 3 min ago
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Sunnyvale's 'Blue Cube' gets torn down 53 min ago
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed