East Bay News
Man, woman shot to death in Contra Costa Co.
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Sheriff's deputies plan to release new information Monday concerning a murder mystery in Contra Costa County. A man and woman were found shot in an unincorporated part of the county between Pittsburg and Antioch. You would think it would be difficult to shoot two people on a busy street in the early evening and not get caught, but investigators are having a hard time finding anyone who saw anything.
People living along Buchanan Road at the Antioch/Pittsburg border knew something major happened Sunday night but figured it was a car accident. They didn't realize two people had been shot to death right behind their homes. "I had no idea there was a shooting. It's terrible," Ron Huddleston told ABC7 News. "It's really bad."
Because the shootings happened between the two cities, Contra Costa sheriff's deputies responded to the call. Investigators say the shootings happened around 5:25 p.m. Sunday on Buchanan Road between Meadows Avenue and Summersville Road. Longtime residents say the shooting doesn't surprise them too much because they've heard shots before just further down the road. "We've had them, shots, but nothing this close, nothing this close. First time this close," Bruce Walden said. "It is unnerving, very unnerving."
"It's started happening more and more. It seems like more and more people are moving here from the city and as the population grows, things happen," Huddleston said. "I'm just alarmed. I don't know, but I feel safe most of the time. I just didn't know about that."
Investigators say the victims are a man and woman in their 20's, from San Francisco. They don't know whether the pair was walking down Buchanan or whether they were taken there by car. They've interviewed people and gotten descriptions of a car seen leaving the area, but the descriptions are all different.
No arrests have been made and authorities have no suspects. With no description of the car and no description of the killer, investigators say this is going to be a difficult case.
antioch, shooting, murder, pittsburg, crime, contra costa county, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End 24 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87 32 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child 6 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds 46 min ago
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch 54 min ago