East Bay News
Man, woman shot to death in Contra Costa Co.
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Sheriff's deputies plan to release new information Monday concerning a murder mystery in Contra Costa County. A man and woman were found shot in an unincorporated part of the county between Pittsburg and Antioch. You would think it would be difficult to shoot two people on a busy street in the early evening and not get caught, but investigators are having a hard time finding anyone who saw anything.
People living along Buchanan Road at the Antioch/Pittsburg border knew something major happened Sunday night but figured it was a car accident. They didn't realize two people had been shot to death right behind their homes. "I had no idea there was a shooting. It's terrible," Ron Huddleston told ABC7 News. "It's really bad."
Because the shootings happened between the two cities, Contra Costa sheriff's deputies responded to the call. Investigators say the shootings happened around 5:25 p.m. Sunday on Buchanan Road between Meadows Avenue and Summersville Road. Longtime residents say the shooting doesn't surprise them too much because they've heard shots before just further down the road. "We've had them, shots, but nothing this close, nothing this close. First time this close," Bruce Walden said. "It is unnerving, very unnerving."
"It's started happening more and more. It seems like more and more people are moving here from the city and as the population grows, things happen," Huddleston said. "I'm just alarmed. I don't know, but I feel safe most of the time. I just didn't know about that."
Investigators say the victims are a man and woman in their 20's, from San Francisco. They don't know whether the pair was walking down Buchanan or whether they were taken there by car. They've interviewed people and gotten descriptions of a car seen leaving the area, but the descriptions are all different.
No arrests have been made and authorities have no suspects. With no description of the car and no description of the killer, investigators say this is going to be a difficult case.
antioch, shooting, murder, pittsburg, crime, contra costa county, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos