East Bay News
In-patient hospital serving children set to close in 2014
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- An in-patient hospital which serves 1,000 East Bay children a year will close in 2014.
On Saturday, dozens of people protested that.
They marched outside the Hayward Medical Center on Hesperian Boulevard.
The protestors say once it shuts down, families in Hayward, Newark, and Fremont will have to drive a long way for in-patient child care services.
"She had to spend the night here in intensive care. We're deeply appreciative the care was here, it was local. And the thought of families like ourselves having to go to Roseville, two hours away, for care. It's just mind boggling we would have to pay thousands of miles away for our Kaiser membership when there's care right here," protester John Green said.
Kaiser says the families will still receive out-patient child care in those communities.
As for in-patient care, Kaiser is building a new facility in Oakland that will provide services for children.
They say the convenience and services available at the new facility outweigh the burden of driving further for in-patient care.
"In 2014, the pediatric service in-patient, just the in-patient, remember serving just four patients a day, will be located at a new state of the art children's medical center at the oakland site," Kaiser Permanente representative Colleen McKeown said.
Kaiser says the nurses working at the Hayward Medical Center will be moved to new positions within the Kaiser network.
hayward, east bay news
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond 10 min ago
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Firefighters battling 3-alarm grass fire in Orinda 41 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Gov. Brown cites safety in possible bridge delay
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- Publicist: Founding member of The Doors dies at 74 34 min ago
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra 58 min ago
- roundup: Bay to Breakers fall; Oakland Hills fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday