East Bay News
Substitute teacher arrested for allegedly grabbing 7-year-olds by throat
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- Fairfield police say they have arrested a substitute teacher who allegedly grabbed several elementary school students by the neck and throat when they misbehaved.
Four seven-year-olds at David Weir Elementary School, three boys and one girl, told their parents on Thursday that a substitute teacher had grabbed them by the neck on two occasions during the day when they allegedly misbehaved and escorted them to the class that way, according to Sgt. Randy Boggs.
On one occasion, the teacher was described as grabbing the girl by her throat as he directed her into the classroom from the hallway, Boggs said.
The students were not injured. They told their parents of the incidents, and the parents contact police on Friday.
Police contacted the substitute, Suisun City resident Joe Yow, 51, and interviewed him at his home. He was subsequently arrested on four counts of battery on a child.
The Fairfield-Suisun City School District is conducting its own internal investigation into the incident, Boggs said.
fairfield, east bay news
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Female victim shot near Lake Merritt Friday morning
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints 53 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Stores stay open around the clock before...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos